Second grade rocks!

Second grade rocks!
L'Ouverture Career Exploration and Technology Magnet Elementary

Monday, June 22, 2015

Video in the Classroom

After reading Prensky's descriptions of digital native and digital immigrants, I know I am a digital native. I enjoy using technology and try to integrate it when ever I can. I get very excited when learning new technology and share my excitement with other staff in my building. I have seen digital immigrants in my school over the past year, since we got 1:1 Ipads. I would love to help the digital immigrants see how to implement using technology into their classroom; this is one of the reasons I wanted to get my master in Technology Education.
Within my classroom, students know that they will be expected to learn how to not only use technology but use it appropriately for education purposes. I have seen many digital immigrant teachers trying to integrate technology however they use it as a busy and fun tool rather than educational. Students in my classroom not only learn how to use technology for the assignment but how they could use it in their futures. I enjoy teaching my students new apps and ways to problems solve. I have found that after using technology more and more this past year, students are able to problem solve on their own and create amazing projects that show their learning throughout all content areas.
Furthering my steps in learning the language of multimedia would be using educational videos within the class or during professional development. I have not used TED Talks and I am not sure how I would use them in the elementary classroom; I could see them being used in professional development meetings. I found a new website and app this past week to help with videos and discussion in the classroom that I would enjoy trying. Edupuzzle you take videos from youtube and other video locations and insert questions and audio into them at certain parts to get students engagement and thinking up during watching videos.
I have found a few site that I can use to block advertisements and inappropriate videos when sharing videos with students (PureView, SafeShare.tv). Both website you take the Youtube link and put it into the website generator on the website. The websites then give you a new link to go to the video. The link can be placed into a QR code or shared through AirDrop.

4 comments:

  1. The app you mentioned, EduPuzzle, sounds amazing and I will have to check it out! TED Talks in the classroom can be great! There's actually a bunch of TED Talks by kids that would be great inspiration for students on giving presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a really good point about teachers teaching how to use technology but also how to use it for educational purposes. This is a fear of mine as our school transitions to 1-to-1 next year and I know many of our teachers are not equipped to make the transition effectively. I am the tech person in my building and it is partly my responsibility to support them. This will be an interesting school year!
    Edupuzzle sounds great and I'm going to try that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have encountered teachers who believe they're using technology, but after investigation, they're only substituting what was previously done without the technology. I believe technology should be used to transform the classroom by creating and producing things that were once inconceivable. Using multimedia tools is definitely one way to take advantage of the technology to transform education! EduPuzzle sounds like a great tool that incorporates video while engaging the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the "Digital Natives" article. I admit it; I'm a Digital Immigrant. I enjoyed learning the different ways that video can be used in the classroom, instead of just as a time filler. I'm going to make this unanimous and say that the EduPuzzle sounds like a great way to keep the students interested. I also appreciate the ideas on how to block content. I will definitely use these. It is just too awkward to have something pop up that you would really rather your students don't see.

    ReplyDelete