Second grade rocks!

Second grade rocks!
L'Ouverture Career Exploration and Technology Magnet Elementary

Monday, June 15, 2015

Scanners in the Classroom

I have not used a scanner for educational purposes in a very long time. I am lucky enough to work in a school that has 1:1 iPads and I have had technology for the past three years where scanners were not the best option. After reading a few articles about how scanners are used in the classroom I could see a need for them.

I have researched an app called Classroom Organizer which is a barcode scanner for your classroom library. This app scans books and gives them a barcode with information such as Lexial levels, reading level, pages, and even tracks what students are checking out the book. It organizes your classroom library like the schools.

I could see myself using this app during silent reading or by letting students check out books from my own library. At our building second graders can only check out one book for the school library. This would help with students they need more books or if the teacher is wanting to make sure students are taking books home that are on their reading level. I have seen many students take home books that are too easy or too hard. If the teacher teaches students their reading levels they could find a just right book for them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany. I have used a scanner in my class to scan in documents for lessons in the past. The main reason I used it was to scan photos for yearbook. Other than that, I did not use it much. I was also very excited about the library apps! That would make my check in/out so much easier. I agree with you that having the books leveled would help students find books they can read, which will give them a feeling of accomplishment. I am excited to begin using something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried using Classroom Organizer a couple years ago and it was painful! It took hours and hours to scan all my books in and so many of them had to be manually typed in because they were unrecognized. The app would crash a lot and there was always confusion! I've been searching for a better way to check out books with a record of who has what. I started snapping a pic of the kid and their 5 books and then deleting it when they returned them. It worked well but I don't benefit from an inventory of all my books like I did in Classroom Organizer. Anyway, I'm in a 1-to-1 school as well and agree that scanners are less useful now, but should not be forgotten because they could still come in handy.

    ReplyDelete